Ski Rescue Insurance

An accident in the mountains may require expensive helicopter rescue or emergency medical treatment. For this reason, you must purchase specialist travel insurance for all trips taking place outside of the UK.

You need medical, emergency search/rescue, repatriation and cancellation cover for your chosen activities (ie many ‘standard’ ski policies do not cover the off-piste skiing and glacier skiing activities that we do). We strongly recommend that you purchase cover as soon as your trip is confirmed to run, so that you are covered should you need to cancel due to personal circumstances. 

Insurance for UK residents

British Mountaineering Council. The gold standard in insurance for UK residents. Very competitive single trip or annual cover for all ski touring and mountaineering activities. Use this link to book your BMC insurance.

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This gives you reciprocal health care in European countries. You can apply for an EHIC card online here or from most Post Offices. You need an EHIC in addition to your travel insurance.

For European residents (non-UK)

Austrian Alpine Club. Available to all European residents. AAC insurance is inexpensive and works ok for minor accidents and rescues, but is not as comprehensive as many other insurance providers. The medical cover included would not be enough for complex treatment or a prolonged stay in hospital. It also doesn’t include cancellation cover. If you choose to use AAC we recommend you take out extra medical cover with another provider, to ‘top up’ the AAC medical limit, as well as a separate cancellation policy.


Travelex offer a range of policies for residents of the USA, and for the rest of the world, Global Rescue offer cover to all nationalities via a combination of GR membership and their separate insurance policy.

If there is any doubt about the scope of your chosen policy we recommend that you contact your insurer to ensure cover extends to the required activities and has the necessary components (search/rescue, medical, repatriation and cancellation). It’s worth mentioning that rescue and medical expenses in Switzerland can be significantly more expensive than in other countries, so a decent level of cover is required for Swiss tours.

We recommend that you send us your insurance details before the trip commences, and they must be brought to the course briefing at the start of your trip. However, we cannot check the detail of every individual policy, and it is your own responsibility to ensure you are adequately insured.